April 2021 President’s Message
Dear PRSA National Capital Chapter Members and Colleagues:
April is a time of renewal. Our dedicated board of directors and chapter leaders have completed a successful Q1, which included eight virtual professional development opportunities, 14 new blog posts and an active presence on four social media networks, including two members-only groups established to help foster collaboration and connection.
Under continued challenging circumstances, we continue to create opportunities and advancement.
Navigate the New Workforce and Workplace
- The pandemic has changed aspects of the job search and workplace as we know it. Hear from executive career coaches, Phaedra Brotherton and Lisa Frank, on Friday, April 30 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET as they provide an overview of trends in the PR/communications job market and key skills/competencies that employers are looking for. They will also cover how to: engage, build and nurture your virtual network, interview virtually, identify culture fit in a remote environment and focus on self-care during the transition.
Enhance Your Professional Development
- April is APR month! The Accreditation in Public Relations credential certifies a practitioner’s ambition, professionalism, ethics and principles in the field of public relations. The National Capital Chapter boasts one of the largest numbers of APR-certified members in the nation. If you’re interested in taking the next step in your career and would like to complete your readiness review and exam, mark your calendars for the second APR virtual boot camp from November 10-12. This course is designed to provide a setting that will meet the needs of busy professionals whose schedules don’t permit extensive preparation time.
- Join the PR boot camp virtual workshop from May 4-11 to learn key concepts and techniques through lectures, case study presentations, discussions and group exercises. Members who register by Tuesday, April 20 save $50: https://apps.prsa.org/Learning/Calendar/register/12381
- Follow along on our blog and social media channels for content highlighting the importance of the APR, outlining the process and explaining why some of your fellow members have sought out the credential.
Connect with Other Members
- Wanting to chat with fellow communicators? Join us for our second virtual coffee and conversations member event on Wednesday, April 28 from 8:30-9:15 a.m. ET. This informal networking event is intentionally intimate to allow a smaller group size to connect from the comfort of their homes. We thank those who attended our first virtual coffee, especially our new members!
Be Recognized for Your Work
- The annual National Capital Excellence in Communication Awards recognizes and rewards outstanding achievements in communications and public relations and encourages continued excellence in the field. The awards timeline includes an early bird entry deadline of Friday, July 16, 2021 and a final deadline of Friday, August 13, 2021. Stay tuned for details, including some exciting new awards categories and a webinar with tips for submitting a winning entry! Mark your calendars for the call for entries, which will be released on or about Tuesday, April 20 as well as the virtual awards ceremony, which will occur on Thursday, November 4.
We’re also thrilled to announce that PRSA NCC has been honored with American University PRSSA’s inaugural Partnership Award.
PRSA NCC was selected based on our dedication to support the student chapter and the outstanding resources that have been provided to student members. We are humbled by this honor and recognition and look forward to our continued partnership to propel the next generation of communication leaders forward.
On behalf of PRSA NCC’s board of directors, committee members and volunteers, we aim to continue to deliver on the promise of our tagline — Advancing the Profession and the Professional.
Leading with integrity and passion,
PRSA NCC President