Website ACOG National Office
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), a membership organization dedicated to the advancement of women’s health care in Washington, DC, is currently seeking a Senior Media Relations Manager.
The Senior Media Relations Manager educates and engages ACOG’s public audiences about ACOG’s mission with a focus on gynecology-related topics, including reproductive health care. Promote ACOG guidance, recommendations, policy statements and positions through active media relations, public relations, outreach, and communications activities, with the goal of maximizing positive coverage with media outlets at the national, regional and local levels. Maintain and grow relationships with ACOG members who volunteer as subject matter experts in media interviews, connecting then with reporters and preparing them for interviews. Continually cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with the general, health, trade, and policy media, serving as the brand ambassador for ACOG with the media. Provide high-level thinking, strategy and leadership as well as tactical support for media and communications activities.
Cover Letter Required.
- Establish and maintain contacts with the general, health and health policy/government media, and trades representing local, regional and national press, including print, digital, radio, and broadcast media outlets. Serves as primary responder to the media that contact ACOG about topics related to gynecology, including reproductive health care.
- Provide appropriate background materials and ACOG publications, work with ACOG officers and/or experts to answer questions, develop messaging and write talking points for experts, and participate/answer question for media requests. Available for news media and staff in the field after working hours on a reasonable basis.
- Coordinate responses with Communications, ACOG leadership and other colleagues to ensure the factual accuracy, consistency and tone/voice of messages to be consistent with ACOG guidelines, opinions, and statements as well as ACOG’s brand and style.
- Develop various media materials for consumer and professional outreach to promote and support ACOG guidelines, recommendations, statements, and events.
- Recruit and maintain up-to-date, topically based expert bureau of ACOG Fellows to serve as media spokespeople.
- Perform timely and accurate media tracking (based on media inquiries), selection, and electronic distribution of clips to the appropriate team members and staff. Develop targeted media lists for high priority topics.
- Help plan, organize and attend press briefings or digital media events on a variety of women’s health issues. Tasks include the identification of key speakers, the development of promotional materials, the scripting of remarks and backgrounders, and the promotion of these events to the media.
- Assist in writing, editing, reviewing and approving content for ACOG’s audiences in support of media and communications activities, including developing complementary website content for media activities, supporting campaign development, and preparing the content for collateral materials.
- Contribute to media and communications campaigns by working with Marketing colleagues to write, edit and/or review on ACOG’s website, social media platforms or other digital products.
- Assist in responding to general inquiries that come into the Office of Communications as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct hands-on, progressively responsible positions in media relations and health communications campaigns, preferably with a public health or nonprofit organization. Experience with a physician society is preferred.
- Knowledge of health topics, particularly women’s health and reproductive health care issues. Demonstrated commitment to promoting and protecting access to reproductive health care, including abortion.
- Understanding of media operations and news organizations and experience answering media inquiries as well as preparing and pitching media/press materials.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Experience creating and maintaining media lists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly in dealing with the media in a polished, professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Good project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to travel required.