Since 2006, AWS has changed the way that organizations acquire and use technology by providing a highly-scalable, cost-effective, and flexible technology platform in the cloud. AWS is growing rapidly around the world with millions of active customers using the platform every month ranging from startups to Fortune 500 corporations.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading provider of cloud computing services, providing IT infrastructure offerings ranging from on-demand compute capacity to storage, content delivery, and database services, to machine learning, Internet of Things, server less technologies, and more. The AWS Public Relations team is at the forefront of shaping communications around the most advanced technologies on the planet and helping customers and AWS Partner Network (APN) Partners maximize the benefits of cloud computing.
To support this rapid growth, AWS is looking for a self-motivated and experienced public relations professional to join its U.S. Public Sector PR team. The purpose of this role is to drive awareness around the positive work AWS does in supporting state and local government customers, and how AWS technology helps governments innovate and meet their missions more efficiently.
In this role, you have an expertise in translating complex technology concepts into broadly digestible stories, are adept in building and managing media relationships, and have both B2B and B2G PR experience. You are able to create and drive proactive storytelling, advise business leaders on complex issues in narrow time frames, and have a demonstrated ability in working on cross-functional teams.
You enjoy diving deep into technology and understanding how it is shaping and redefining the world we live in. You are motivated by a dynamic, highly creative culture where the challenge of breaking new ground and redefining best practices is welcome. In this role, you will have the ability to work alongside a variety of internal teams and also support AWS customers. You have excellent writing skills, have experience driving proactive campaigns and have a track record of utilizing good judgement in high pressure situations.
This role will be based in the greater Washington, D.C area and may require periodic travel.
Key job responsibilities:
- Work closely with AWS Public Sector customers and partners to help them tell their stories about success with AWS and how cloud technology is helping them innovate and enhance mission success.
- Develop and execute effective, long-term communications strategies for key AWS Public Sector SLG initiatives.
- Provide communications counsel to business leaders.
- Work alongside PR colleagues around the world to share best practices and execute campaigns.
- Write and edit press releases, pitches, PR plans, and related materials.
- Establish and foster local, regional, and national media relationships by serving as a trusted source and educator about AWS.
- Train and coach AWS executives for press engagements.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years of public relations experience
- Experience in B2B and B2G technology PR
- Experience pitching proactive stories to technology and business publications
- An entrepreneurial spirit, including ability to work independently and autonomously
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent strategic thinking, analytical, and organizational skills, while also staying on top of tactical execution
- Outstanding attention to detail, understanding of technology, and ability to communicate complex topics effectively
- Analytical, data-driven, evidence-based – but creative and adaptive in developing solutions
- Passionate about excellence in writing and verbal communications
- Thrives in a collaborative environment and is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Strong judgement, a knack for diplomacy, and the confidence to engage and build consensus with functional leaders at all levels
- Current experience managing media relationships and a network of media contacts
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship and Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Apply directly on https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/2124322/pr-manager-aws-public-sector