Website American Public Power Association
Serve as a key member of the American Public Power Association’s communications team to raise the profile of the association and its members. Take charge and use your creativity to develop and lead the execution of a robust social media plan across all platforms and to conceive and develop special communication initiatives and campaigns. Become an advocate and cross-departmental contributor with responsibility for overseeing APPA’s website, PublicPower.org.
The American Public Power Association is looking for a well-rounded Director of Digital and Social Communications to:
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Media Relations and Communications to develop annual planning and budgeting for APPA’s media relations activities, website, social media platforms, and ongoing programs (such as APPA’s awards programs and annual Public Power Week activities).
- Advance APPA’s advocacy, public policy and grassroots agenda by sharing thought leader perspectives, developing/amplifying key messages, and engaging with stakeholders—particularly on social media.
- Utilize social media to advance policy priorities and raise awareness about public power with key influencers.
- Conduct regular environmental scans to keep web and social media plans current and relevant and explore new opportunities.
- Execute web and social media plans, including a regularly updated content calendar, while remaining responsive to current events and developments in energy policy, technology, and trends.
- Lead content development efforts for the website (including blogs) and social media.
- Lead the development of video, infographics, podcasts and other digital and social media content.
- Supervise and nurture the communications assistant as a key contributor to the communications team’s efforts, with a focus on support for media relations activities, management of special programs, and writing for various APPA products.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be able to leverage social media as an advocacy platform.
- Have a grasp of congress and how federal agencies work.
- Be a people person.
- Present ideas clearly, concisely and accurately, both orally and in writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, new media, journalism or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- 8+ years experience in digital media and communications with supervisory experience.
- Experience in strategic planning and budgeting.
- Familiarity with energy and power industry.
- Knowledge of the federal and state political, legislative, and regulatory processes.
- Exceptional research, organizational, and written and oral communications skills including the ability to process technical information and translate into messages with public appeal.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work well in a tight, deadline-driven environment.
- Team player with ability work effectively with outside vendors as well as internal clients and colleagues.
The American Public Power Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply Online at https://www.click2apply.net/z1VakgIEzO1dckeWc15QL