The Director of Communications and Content Strategy will be responsible for leading the development, coordination, and implementation of content strategy and communications for HealthHIV, HealthHCV and the National Coalition for LGBTQ Health. This includes leading a team that develops, disseminates, measures, analyzes and manages all aspects of content strategy and communications for education, advocacy, training, and capacity building to strengthen the public health workforce’s competencies.
The Director of Communications and Content Strategy will lead the organization in constructing a cohesive content strategy. Working with internal and external collaborators, the Director will oversee and execute the strategy, including creating content assets that align with the organization’s voice strategy and aligning brand narratives with content strategies and editorial decisions. In addition to leading the integration of content strategy and time-specific brand campaigns to drive program goals, the Director will lead the development of a style guide to help foster a unified, consistent voice for the organization. They also will gather key business and user insights, and apply strategic planning skills to create a long-term vision for the content generated.
To streamline a cohesive communications and content effort, this position will oversee the evaluation of all communications mechanisms, including website, CSM, and newsletter, social media platforms, and other external communications vehicles, and make substantive and achievable recommendations for updating how these are used. The Director will be responsible for overseeing updates to these mechanisms to meet those recommendations and those based on feedback from the Executive Director and other Executive Team leadership.
This position will also conceptualize and produce content that resonates with a variety of audiences, across multimedia platforms. The Director will compellingly communicate a story, and determine how content will be presented or distributed in formats other than text-based articles, such as infographics or multimedia presentations. This position will establish strategies for media relations, seeking placements in print, broadcast and online channels, and create the corresponding content including news releases, articles and presentations.
The Director will be expected to build relationships with thought leaders and subject matter experts, while gathering knowledge of industry trends; apply SEO, content development, distribution and measurement to effectively tailor content to reach appropriate audiences; manage digital and social content channels including email or newsletter distribution, with the understanding of the best content practices on each channel; and test and implement innovative and relevant methods of measuring content, campaigns and resources.
As a member of HealthHIV’s Executive Team, the Director will support the Executive Director in developing and streamlining HealthHIV’s operations and infrastructure. The Director will also support HealthHIV’s technical assistance (TA), capacity building assistance (CBA) and Advocacy programs through content management and development and other communications functions.
Applicants must have a BA or BS degree in public health, health administration, behavioral health, public policy or a related field. A Master’s degree in journalism, public health, policy, non-profit administration, or a related field is preferred. Also required is at least seven years of related work experience combined with the ability to demonstrate the necessary skills and abilities for this position. Applicants must exhibit strong idea generation, problem solving, communication and organizational skills. A firm understanding of user experience and strong search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) skills are preferred. Strong competencies and experience writing about and describing harm reduction, health equity, social justice, and the social determinants of health in the areas of HIV, viral hepatitis, sexual and behavioral health, and related support services, such as housing, are necessary. Applicants should possess knowledge of opioid use disorder and opioid misuse prevention/treatment, substance use prevention/treatment, HIV and viral hepatitis prevention/treatment, LGBTQ health equity, and minority health equity, access, and engagement issues.
Demonstrated experience in addressing all of the issues outlined above.
This full-time position is based at HealthHIV’s Washington, DC office, and therefore preferred that the employee live in or be willing to relocate to Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia.
Skills and Abilities Needed
- Possess comprehensive writing and communication skills, including strategic thinking and data analysis.
- Deliver quality customer service and work products.
Possess strong project, budget, staff, and team leadership and management skills.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience creating and editing content for target audiences across all multimedia and social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Familiarity with SEO research tools and best practices, guidelines and keyword research and planning.
- Experience with digital marketing functions including SEO, Content Marketing, Social Media Marketing, E-mail Marketing and PPC Marketing is a bonus.
- Experience with SEO tools including Google Adwords and Keyword Planner, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Search Console, etc. is preferred.
- Extensive experience using all social media platforms.
- Experience in public, media and influencer relations.
- Balance multiple responsibilities and function well under pressure.
- Skilled at writing and copy editing, including writing in different voices and styles, for a variety of target audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee projects and meet or exceed deadlines.
- Possess an established portfolio of published articles.
- Established processes for assuring accuracy, consistency, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Knowledge of Content Management Systems, including WordPress and Drupal.
- Experience in website publishing, re-designs and content migrations.
- Experienced in presentation development and delivery.
Effective in providing creative direction/feedback.
- Work effectively independently as well as part of a team with diverse staff.
- Strong group and meeting facilitation skills.
- Possess knowledge in the topics of HIV, viral hepatitis and STI prevention/treatment, opioid use disorder prevention and treatment, sexual and behavioral health, and support services, including prevention, housing, care, and treatment.
- Skilled in computer use especially in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace Apps.
- Develop and manage a content strategy based on HealthHIV’s, HealthHCV’s and the National Coalition of LGBT Health objectives and mission.
- Govern all processes essential to the development, optimization, approval, publication and ongoing management of quality content.
- Develop brand voice to ensure consistency across all programs and projects.
- Create an organizational style guide for reference.
- Oversee content requirements and create content strategy deliverables.
- Conduct content audits of existing content and leverage research and digital tools to identify opportunities and gaps.
- Responsible for supervising and managing other employees and consultants.
- Edit in-person and online capacity building assistance content (e.g. webinars, CBA workshops) to ensure written content is appropriate to the preferred audience and adheres to compliance standards.
- Edit training manuals, job aids, and supplemental materials for HealthHIV’s E-learning courses that use plain language, are clear, and positively influence knowledge transfer.
- Create a proactive (synchronicitous) work relationship with advocacy and other health equity team members and partner organizations by forming strong sustainability commitments that expand efforts through: awareness, networking, legislative change, or policy efforts/initiatives.
- Connect content with advocacy through scalable and effective health promotion means/impact tools (media relations on aligned health equity work, topics; planning/drafting/editing the agency’s bi-monthly e-newsletter; webinars/forums, etc.).
- Lead the creation, curation and dissemination of content to increase brand and resource awareness and evolve strategy and content as necessary.
- Oversee content marketing strategies targeted at driving traffic, engagement, generating leads, retaining customers and building brand awareness.
- Supports the creation of wireframes, site maps, process maps, and other artifacts to describe content opportunities, intended user experience and project requirements.
- Guide creation, management, tracking and advancement of the editorial calendar to govern development and distribution of timely content; and regularly measure and analyze progress results to apply data-driven insights to future content strategies.
- Leverage digital tools, website metrics and keyword reporting to understand how audiences are finding information, what content is currently resonating, and why.
- Identify significant public health policy and program issues that can be leveraged; and create and implement a strategy that utilizes these issues to meet the organization’s objectives.
- Manage briefing and brainstorming/collaboration processes with teams.
- Provide creative feedback and shape content development to align with strategy.
- Recommend content versioning for various platforms and media.
- Oversee planning, creating, publishing and measuring impactful content across media platforms.
- Lead the review, proofreading, and editing of content prior to publication and updating of published content as needed.
- Support content creation and develops/oversees development of meta descriptions, title tags, alt text, etc. as needed; leverages tools to optimize content during development.
- Liaise with reporters and other media contacts and serve as organizational spokesperson as needed.
- Cultivate and maintain key relationships, and strategic partnerships and alliances at the national, state, and local level.
- Lead development of written reports and other materials to document delivery of quality services.
- Lead organizational, project, and client meetings.
Complete other duties as assigned.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive health benefits (Domestic Partners are eligible for coverage).
- Retirement benefits (eligible to join the 403b plan after the three-month introductory period).
- Twenty-three days (minimum) of paid personal leave (accrual begins on start date at 7.19 hours per pay period).
- Federal holidays observed.
HealthHIV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial and ethnic minorities, sexual and gender minorities, and persons living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit resume, cover letter and writing sample in one pdf document to email@example.com with “Director of Communications” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. The application deadline is November 15, 2022.