Website Howard Community College
Reporting to the public relations director, the public relations manager is responsible for telling the college’s story by developing uniquely creative content for use across multiple channels. With attention on data-driven decision-making, this position manages the college’s editorial calendar and associated planning in alignment with the public relations and marketing content strategy, enrollment management strategic plan, and the institutional strategic plan, mission, vision, and values. Through collaboration, the public relations manager will identify relevant stories that will elevate the college’s brand, encourage enrollment, and maximize outreach to key publics, and then promote stories through college channels and earned media outlets. In collaboration with the executive director of public relations and marketing, who serves as primary spokesperson, the public relations manager will assist with cultivating relationships with reporters and pitching stories.
- As directed, manage the ongoing development, organization, and planning of editorial content. Establish and cultivate relationships with internal and external sources to for discern emerging news, stories, and events at HCC.
- Work closely with the public relations and marketing team to shape key communications and ensure consistent messaging across channels. Lead the planning to create dynamic and creative content using writing, video, and graphic design.
- Ensure college social media and public relations activities are integrated and aligned with other college communications, marketing, outreach efforts, and visual identity.
- Develop and execute public relations plans. Utilize journalistic skills to write and develop news releases, articles, social media posts, student profiles, and other college communications as directed. Manage freelance writers as needed for various projects.
- Cultivate relationships and share content with and appropriate reporters, media outlets, social media influencers, college partners, and relevant organizations; collaborate with web colleagues in the public relations and marketing office to craft and publish content that raises awareness, attracts interest, and/or drives action on the HCC website; distribute to internal communication channels as needed; coordinate the integration or repurposing of content within the public relations and marketing office and other departments as needed.
- Utilize news media and social media monitoring software and tools to track, measure, and analyze efforts. Report om efforts to to HCC community and related individuals. Using results as guide, make necessary recommendations for future action.
- Serve as primary contact and administrator of HCC’s official accounts on social media networks, e.g. Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Monitor social media networks and engage in discussions and respond to questions or comments. Develop and implement social media posts to spur engagement and increase followers.
- Lead the social media team within the office of public relations and marketing. Guide the college’s social media secondary account administrators who manage office and departmental social media accounts and hold regular meetings with this group. Provide social media training and support to faculty and staff as needed.
- Explore emerging technologies and trends that will benefit the college on social media or other channels.
- Serve as an alternate to the college Emergency Operations Team and as an alternate crisis communications manager. Assist public relations and marketing office leadership with emergency operations planning, testing, and exercises as directed. Participate in regular training for crisis communications.
Education and Skill Requirements
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required with less than five years of experience in public relations/communications field.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Degree preferably in public relations, journalism, communications or related field.
- Demonstrated versatility and skill in writing press releases, media advisories, articles, and promotional materials for both print and digital audiences.
- Proven experience in working with reporters that resulted in news coverage.
- Experience in news journalism research, interviewing, and writing.
- Experience planning, writing, posting, and measuring analytics for social media
- Skill in using social media administration tools
- Demonstrated experience developing creative content for use across multiple channels.
- Experience developing public relations plans.
- Knowledge and experience using media monitoring software to research, track, and measure effort.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated skill in event-related or news-style photography.
- Night and/or weekend work may be necessary.
- Anticipate occasional travel.
- Availability and remote capability to receive and distribute emergency communications as alternate crisis communications manager.
- Prepared to be on call when serving as alternate crisis communications manager and in the event of an emergency.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Please complete the application and submit a resume and cover letter on the Howard Community College Jobs site: https://howardcc.peopleadmin.com/postings/2129.