Be a part of a dynamic team whose work enriches the health of communities by strengthening city and county health departments. At the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), we are united by our work to improve our country’s 3,000 U.S. local health departments. We represent the voice of local public health while striving to live out our core values of equity, excellence, participation, respect, integrity, leadership, science and innovation. We provide our employees with meaningful work, opportunities to learn and grow, a strong work/life balance, and a flexible, hybrid work schedule while being a part of a collaborative team.
We are interested in growing our team with passionate, committed, and innovative individuals. The Communications Specialist- MCAH will join NACCHO at a time of dynamic growth. This position is important in the Programs Team.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting the work of the Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health portfolio, and reports to the Director of Communications with additional supervisory support from the Director, Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health. The Communications Specialist contributes to the advancement of local public health practice by performing a range of responsibilities related to the development and distribution of written materials about the above-mentioned portfolios (including print and electronic publications, web and social media content, and media templates).
The Communications Specialist understands policies, standards, and their application to their work (both internal to NACCHO and the various programs and their funders). They typically perform analysis, research, writing, and/or project management and can complete projects or components of large-scale projects/programs with little supervision. The Communications Specialist may support and coordinate internal and external stakeholders at a level commensurate with the position’s duties and expectations. The Communications Specialist may have frequent contact with outside organizations’ internal/external stakeholders, local health department staff, and others in the public health enterprise that may involve project coordination, information sharing, or the resolution of problems. This position may be required to capture and report for NACCHO at meetings, conferences, training programs, or other designated activities.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for providing communications support for programs and internal functional activities and typically performs tasks of moderate difficulty including research, writing, and analysis; proofreading, production and publishing; the collection of stories from the field and production schedules among various parties; and all related work associated under the direction of the Director of Communications and/or the Director, Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health with minimal supervision.
General responsibilities include substantive writing (creative and technical), editing, copyediting, and proofreading publications; developing and maintaining web pages; providing communications support at events and conferences; performing graphic design; identifying audiences and tailoring audience messaging; and promoting the work of NACCHO’s projects using all forms of media including traditional and new media outlets.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS
* Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or verbally in individual or group situations.
* Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
* Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills, and judgment to accomplish a result or to serve members’ needs effectively. Has desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
* Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes, methods, systems, or services.
* Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one’s knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
* Provides guidance and technical assistance through communications, project planning and coordination, and targeted marketing.
* Independently develops, prepares, and disseminates reports.
* Works collaboratively with others to support technical assistance activities.
* Represents NACCHO at external conferences and meetings with stakeholders.
* Acts as liaison with staff as needed in specialization area.
* Tracks and analyzes policies and best practices.
* Writes, edits, and proofreads creative and technical material for publications, papers, reports, websites, fact sheets, talking points, news articles, media templates, etc.
* Provides marketing and communications support for Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health initiatives and convenings, including website design, marketing collateral content generation, input on meeting collateral, etc.
* Conducts research and interviews subject-matter experts for NACCHO written materials including, but not limited to newsletters and e-newsletters REACH Dispatch, Breastfeeding Newsletter, Public Health Dispatch, NACCHO Connect, etc.
* Assists in developing written materials for members and volunteers serving as media spokespeople.
* Develops and enforces adherence with publication schedules and style guides for various products and programs.
* Serves as point person for specified webpages, optimizing content and design for enhanced user experience and accessibility.
* Ensures compliance with policies and procedures for team members to update their webpages on NACCHO.org.
* Monitors and captures statistics for e-newsletters and webpages and explores ways to increase readership.
* Implements communications and marketing strategies and activities using NACCHO’s and programmatic communication vehicles.
* Interfaces with NACCHO personnel, members, committees, partner organizations, and vendors to develop articles and publications.
* Responds to publication inquiries from local health departments and other stakeholders nationwide.
* Provides editorial assistance on project proposals, periodic reports to funding agencies, and other documents.
* Tracks information and communications on current local public health issues including maternal, child, and adolescent health, immunization, and other cross cutting areas.
* Performs creative and technical writing; follows style guides; and adapts writing styles for different audiences.
* Proofreads to fix mistakes in spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.
* Copyedits for style, voice, brevity, and tone.
* Substantively edits or rewrites to improve logical flow, clarity, or organization.
* Demonstrates effective customer service to a variety of clients and audiences.
* Possesses advanced interpersonal communication skills.
* Demonstrates strong skills in the use of social media, e-marketing, and web application software to achieve program, publications, and communications and marketing goals.
* Develops timelines and project milestones to meet deadlines.
* Effectively manages and coordinates multiple and conflicting priorities.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience and/or advanced technical training; or equivalent combination of education (Communications, English, Journalism) and experience, including a relevant certification. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has a greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
* Experience developing creative and technical written materials is required. Interest in public health, maternal, child, and adolescent health preferred.
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
* Strong skills in the use of social media, e-marketing, and web application software to achieve program, publications, and communications and marketing goals.
* Competent and proficient in the use of website content management software (e.g., Craft, HTML, etc.) and e-marketing software (e.g., MagnetMail or similar product).
* Competent and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
* Competency in Adobe Creative Suite products preferred, particularly InDesign.
* Basic video production and editing skills preferred.
* Competent and proficient in the use of project management software.
* Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine reports and correspondence, and speak effectively before groups of employees of the organization, members, and partners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Occasionally required to sit.
* Occasionally required to walk.
* Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
* Occasionally required to talk or hear.
* Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
* Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
Salary Range: $57,920 – $61,360
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, NACCHO follows CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. NACCHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all NACCHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: PN – 120 Communication Specialist MCAH.
NACCHO offers generous benefits package such as:
* Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD insurances
* 15 days of paid vacation & 13 days of sick leave and other types of leave
* 403(b) Retirement plan,
* Hybrid Remote Work Available
* NACCHO is a qualified employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.