Website Goodwill Industries International, Inc.
Public Relations and Multimedia Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Director of Public Relations
DIVISION/DEPAT: Marketing and Communications
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Develop, implement, monitor and manage Goodwill Industries International (GII) communications, public relations and media relations campaigns to raise the visibility and understanding of Goodwill’s brand, mission and business lines, and vision in coordination with the Senior Director of Public Relations. Lead, direct, plan and execute professional quality and award-winning multimedia and video storytelling pieces to build brand awareness and share Goodwill’s mission and initiatives with the public and stakeholders. Serve as in-house video production expert and work cross functionally with other GII departments, local Goodwill organizations and others to create video pieces as well as relevant and timely public relations template materials for local Goodwill use. Identify, craft and curate compelling stories in multiple formats across platforms to support mission programs and campaigns. Work cross-functionally to develop content strategy for internal and external platforms. Strategize and lead Goodwill campaigns for grant funded projects and cause partnerships. Provide public relations consultations and support PR efforts of local Goodwill organizations. Secure and place high visible opportunities for the Goodwill brand and serve as an accessible and trusted spokesperson when directed by the Senior Director of Public Relations in coordination with the Chief Marketing Officer.
- Develop and execute external communication, multimedia and public relations initiatives and campaigns.
- Write, edit and disseminate high quality external communication materials that inform, educate and promote strategic goals and initiatives, programs and services, and the organization as a whole, including multi-media content, short and long-form videos, media interview briefs, news releases, letters to the editor, social media messages, blog postings, website content, backgrounders, messaging, opinion pieces, fact sheets, and op-eds. Materials include both national materials for use by GII and template materials for use by local Goodwill communication teams as part of comprehensive toolkits.
- Lead video production management, including providing creative leadership as well as develop, plan and oversee GII video projects for internal and external use to ensure professional quality and high editorial standards. Vet and select video production vendors and manage filming on site. Manage GII’s president and CEO’s videos for internal consumption in coordination with the member relations team. Additionally, manage and produce his videos for external use.
- Facilitate planning and review of Goodwill related video projects executed by external companies or organizations, e.g. Google, the Walmart Foundation and Indeed as well as GII sponsors. Responsible for managing those video projects on-site and coordinating logistics with video vendors, Goodwill partners, GII and local Goodwill organization(s).
- Film Goodwill-related events, e.g. Advocacy Day, etc. for end of year fundraising efforts and edit video when necessary. Stay current with industry standards and trends regarding corporate video.
- Manage the post-production process to ensure video and multimedia projects meet the organization’s high standards for quality and accuracy. Manage budgets for video and multimedia projects to ensure projects are delivered on time and within financial parameters.
- Manage Goodwill’s communication and public relations needs for grant funded projects, and with cause partners and work with public relations counterparts at foundations and partner companies on cross promotional efforts.
- Work closely with GII’s marketing and communications team to create collateral, multimedia pieces and cohesive campaigns to promote mission programs and objectives, as well as during key observances and seasonal observances, as necessary. Track and measure Goodwill marketing and communication campaigns and initiatives, and draft media and communication measurement reports for consumption by the executive team.
- Work cross-functionally to develop content strategy to showcase mission programs and services. Write, edit and produce compelling stories for internal and external platforms.
- Identify viable storylines and opportunities to promote Goodwill in print, television and online. Recommend any necessary adjustments to specific outreach efforts and media relations strategies when needed.
- Provide counsel to local Goodwill organizations on public relations, crisis communications and other communication tactics as needed in conjunction with the executive time and Senior Director of Public Relations.
- Develop and maintain GII’s monitoring systems including Cision, Talkwalker and Critical Mention. Analyze and monitor Goodwill international, national and local news coverage on a daily basis.
- Work in coordination with the government relations team to promote Goodwill related advocacy events and policy positions.
- Serve as primary contact when the Senior Director of Public Relations is unavailable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- GII Members: Frequent contact with Goodwill organizations including, presidents and CEOs, and staff who support program operations, external communications and serve as subject matter experts. Frequent contact with marketing and communication counterparts regarding public relations, influencer and blogger engagement, event planning, media outreach, community outreach, crisis communications, inquiries, research and information requests, TV and film requests, vendor information, partnerships, grant investment opportunities, and other communication needs.
- Internal: Frequent contact with staff across all teams, including donated goods retail, marketing and communications, marketing and digital, mission and partnerships, member relations, and government relations as well as other team members from various departments to coordinate on projects. Contact with GII president and CEO, and members of the executive and leadership teams to meet communication goals.
- External: Regular contact with news media, bloggers, influencers, general public, outside businesses, board members, independent professional, nonprofit and advocacy organizations, cause partner organizations, and other key stakeholders. Frequent contact with vendors.
- Government Officials: Occasional contact with various branches of government and international agencies for support and participation in Goodwill activities, briefings, and advocacy-related events.
- Thorough knowledge of communication principles and media protocol, including an understanding of the organizational goal; building a message platform that explains the attributes of the organization; communications’ integration and impact; reaching audiences building a communications plan and measurable activities; and interfacing with media, influencers and key stakeholders.
- Strong process, project management and improvement skills.
- Knowledge of video and multimedia production processes and ability to manage projects from start to finish as well as handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written communication skills (grammar, spelling, punctuation and proofreading), customer service, news writing, speaking and presentation, storytelling, and script writing skills for both internal and external audiences
- Understanding of social media platforms and tools, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as staying ahead of digital trends.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Visio), as well as video editing and software programs. Office has Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere software.
- Familiarity with filming video with in-house equipment.
- Familiarity with lighting design for video.
- Working knowledge of budget principles and protocols.
- Willingness and ability to learn new systems and applications.
- Ability to work successfully and professionally with diverse groups of members, including board members, presidents and CEOs, GII team members and Goodwill members.
- Ability to display compassion and sensitivity when working with vulnerable populations and Goodwill program participants.
- Ability to relate well to others, both individually and in group settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate and grow relationships with a range of partners.
- Critical thinking and project management skills.
- Ability to plan and coordinate efficiently.
- Ability to provide interview and media training.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Highly organized with effective ability to plan and prioritize.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Process management and improvement skills.
- Ability to set, manage and meet deadlines efficiently and effectively under challenging conditions and circumstances, manage multiple projects, and the ability to pivot when circumstances dictate.
- Availability for occasional travel.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to plan and coordinate effectively.
|EDUCATION:||Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Background in journalism preferred.|
|EXPERIENCE:||A minimum of five years of communications work experience. Experience with Cision preferred. Newsroom experience and/or PRSA, IABC or WWPR member preferred.|
|DECISION MAKING:||Prioritizing work based on deadlines and objectives. Conceptual decision making regarding public relations, communications, media relations and multimedia campaigns and events in coordination with the Senior Director of Public Relations.|
|SUPERVISION:||General – Latitude is given to determine approaches, procedures and methodologies for accomplishing the work. Receives administrative review. Work is reviewed to assure that is conceptually sound and meet assignment objectives.|
|PHYSICAL EFFORT:||Sedentary, lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasionally lifting and/o carrying such articles as dockets, ledgers and files. Walking and standing are required only occasionally. Long hours at a computer are required. Periodic travel to represent Goodwill Industries International at local Goodwill organizations as well as briefings, conferences, events, management and filming of video projects, satellite media tours, blogger tours, and professional development events.|
|EMOTIONAL EFFORT:||Occasional tight deadlines (with little or no notice) requiring some overtime. Work environment usually hectic with periods of high stress.|
To apply for this job please visit careers-goodwill.icims.com.