Website Virginia Tech
Director of Communications and Marketing, AAD
The Director of Communications and Marketing for the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design will lead the development, planning, execution, and evaluation of a comprehensive, strategic communications and marketing program for the college, and align those activities with university-wide communications, marketing, and branding initiatives. In a broad sense, the Director’s primary responsibility will be to tell the story of the college in a manner that captures the vibrancy and appeal of our programs. We are looking for someone who has a deep commitment to the college’s disciplines; to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all marketing and communications materials; and is a thoughtful, eloquent, and incisive advocate for the college, its missions, and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To achieve fulfillment of university and college priorities, the Director will collaborate with the college’s leadership team, including the Dean; the college’s advancement team (including communications, alumni engagement, and development staff); college and university faculty, staff, and students; University Relations and the Advancement division; and university communications colleagues
- The Director will develop and implement a comprehensive, strategic marketing and communications plan that is consistent with the college’s unique needs, brand marketing, and messaging, as well as the dean’s communications needs, while also working within the university’s larger marketing and communications framework
- Directly supervise the college’s communications team, which is comprised of a communications manager with the potential to add additional capacity. An administrative/professional faculty member, the Director reports jointly to the Assistant Dean of Advancement in the college and the Senior Director in University Relations
- Will lead the communications team to increase the visibility of the college in a variety of ways, including message alignment, written and visual content creation for university and college digital and print platforms, marketing, external media relations, elevating the dean’s reputation, and more
- Will have a strong record of progressive experience in today’s communications fields, including the development and implementation of a strategic, comprehensive communications and marketing program; evidence of strong communications, interpersonal, presentation, and marketing skills; and proficiency in using word processing, image processing, content management system, and social media tools
- Ideal candidate will also have experience leading a team of professional communicators; a strong understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles and the use of the Internet as a medium of communication; and the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment
Virginia Tech is an EOE employer.